Decision Day

    Using Premier Pro and Indesign this week gave me a good hands-on look into how and what exactly goes into making a film or magazine. It made me realize that creating a magazine cover or even a couple minutes of film is not as easy as it seems and takes effort. Editing my video in Premier Pro gave me a better understanding of the editing portion in film. At first I had a hard time adjusting the imported clips while cropping, moving, and getting them how I wanted to flow together. I feel like this software is definitely going to enhance the movie I want to do because of how many features there are. Unlike iMovie, which I've had experience working with before, Premier Pro will be a creative challenge. 

     An additional impression I was left with is how much you could do with the software. In one of the articles we read this week, "Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom", Cherry writes how in storytelling we us the four C's. "The Four Cs of critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity go hand in hand with storytelling projects in the classroom." I think storytelling can be found in anything including film and pictures and that the fourth C, creativity, is most important. Without creativity to a story you can't capture your audience's attention or bring any sort of excitement. While using Indesign this week, I found there was a great amount of creative freedom involved.  I could not only add any sort of media such as pictures, text, color, and shapes but I was also able to edit those to better fit the aesthetic I was going for. This helps out immensely in delivering a magazine cover that readers would be drawn to and want to read.  Part of this is mentioned in the second article, "Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines" when an editor from Creative Nonfiction says, "Our recent redesign, which incorporates color and illustrations into the magazine, is certainly intended to make it more reader friendly." Top magazines like Cosmopolitan, GQ, and Vogue all have special detailing on the fonts, especially on the cover, in order to grab the audience's attention. Which makes sense why there would be so many different colors, styles, and sizing you can chose in your font in InDesign. 

    Finally, upon weeks of learning about film and magazine I've decided to do my final project on film. I personally feel a deeper connection to film and really think I could demonstrate my creativity better through that than a magazine. While I do admire magazines I agree with what Miller says in the second article, "The literary magazine exists for a specialized audience, mainly writers who are interested and eager to read what is being written right now, [...]" With this in mind I feel like a magazine would restrict me because I would have to make something that's up with the times now whereas with film I can find muse from any time period. So, I have decided I will create a beautifully developed short film opening. 

Citation met

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Critical Reflection

Post-Production 1: Re-filming

Peer Review